Indefinite Leave to Remain and BRP
Foreigners living in the UK with an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) can transfer their visa from their passport into a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).
Once the transfer is done, BRP will serve as a document to confirm the immigration status of the foreigner same as the visa on the passport does.
Main reasons to for transferring an IRL into a biometric residence permit are as follows:
- BRP is more easy to carry than the passport/other travel document.
- The passport document has expired.
- Change on the personal data of the visa holder.
- A mistake on the personal data of the existing passport.
- Lost or stolen passport.
When to Apply for a Transfer to a BRP
If you are a holder of an Indefinite Leave to Remain, you can apply for a Biometric Residence Permit anytime you want. There is not a set date when you can do that, as long as you have a valid ILR.
How to Apply to Transfer an ILR to a BRP
The application process to Transfer an ILR to a BRP is simple and quick. Just follow the steps listed below in the given order.
To apply to Transfer an ILR to a BRP you need to:
- Fill in the application form.
- Provide supporting documents.
- Pay the application fee.
- Provide your biometrics (fingerprints and facial image).
You will be able to save your application and come back to it another time if you need to. Note that your passport and other original documents will be returned to you through the recorded delivery.
Required Documents for Application
To get your application done for the transfer of their valid ILR into a BRP, you must:
- Complete the Form NTL.
- Complete the section of the application form about personal history (showing any past or existing criminal record of the applicant and or their depends, as well as any relation to war crimes, genocide, crimes against humanity, terrorism).
- Execute the application fee (within the uniform procedure).
- Two recent photographs passport-size.
- Provide a valid passport/another travel document with the ILR stamped on it (of the main applicant and of any dependent).
- Show the Home Office information letter about the immigration status – if the visa is not attached to the passport.
- Bring all the past passports or other travel documents in possession since of being given an Indefinite Leave to Enter or ILR.
- Show the report of the police or the reference number (for stolen/lost passport or travel document).
- Sign the declaration of the section 6.
Documents to be submitted for application must be:
- Originals + photocopies (including each page of the passport/travel document where personal data, immigration stamp, or visa is shown)/
- Certified copies issued by the building society or bank, or by notary + a cover letter explaining the reason of incapacity to offer original documents
Documents that are in other languages than English and Welsh, should be submitted with a certified translator.
How Much Does it Cost to Transfer an ILR to a BRP?
The fee to transfer an Indefinite Leave to Remain to a Biometric Residence Permit is £161.
You will get a decision within 6 months of application. If you are in a hurry and you want a response within a shorter period, you can pay an extra £800 for the super priority service.
With this service, you will be able to get a decision within one working day of your UKVCAS appointment.